Pixar Pier in Disney California Adventure is the Disneyland Resort’s home to fan-favorite characters from the rich history of Disney*Pixar animated films. This area began its life as Paradise Pier when Disney California Adventure opened in 2001 and was originally themed as a classic California coastal boardwalk. In 2018 the land received a major refurbishment with overlays from Pixar films to combine the two themes. These changes included the transformation of California Screamin’ to the Incredibles-themed Incredicoaster as well as a few new additions like Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind.
Pixar Pier is located at the back of Disney California Adventure and sits along an open lake giving a beautiful backdrop to the nightly World of Color light show. Here guests can meet favorite Pixar characters, play classic midway games, enjoy lively attractions, and dine on Pixar-themed snacks and drinks. The theming is bright and colorful here, much like the Pixar films it’s based on. The original concept of a classic boardwalk has been combined with Pixar characters and film scenes to great effect. Although you might not think these two concepts fit together, Disney has somehow made the land feel coherent and nothing seems too “out of place”.
Attractions with (FP) accept FastPass
- Games of Pixar Pier: Guests can put their gaming skills to the test and win some prizes at these fun carnival-inspired games located on the Pixar Promenade. There are four games based on Pixar films: La Luna Star Catcher, Heimlich’s Candy Corn Toss, WALL·E Space Race, and Bullseye Stallion Stampede. The games are open to guests of all ages but require a separate purchase of game credits to play. Play cards with game credits can be purchased at kiosks located around the promenade.
- Incredicoaster (FP): Join the first family of Supers, The Incredibles as they attempt to contain Jack-Jack and his unpredictable powers! This intense rollercoaster takes guests on a thrilling ride through Pixar Pier with special effects, lighting, tunnels, and appearances from Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Dash, Violet and Edna Mode. Guests must be 48″ or taller to ride.
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind: This family-friendly spinner ride lets guests step into the world of Inside Out and take a spin on one of eight “Memory Movers”. Each mover is designed to evoke one of Riley’s Emotions or one of her imaginative characters. The ride is perfect for guests of all ages, as the movement is restricted to gentle spinning and a minor elevation of the ride cars.
- Jessie’s Critter Carousel: This attraction is a classic merry-go-round combined with theming from Toy Story 2. Cowgirl Jessie has rounded up some of her favorite toy animals from Woody’s Roundup to give Andy’s friends a fun new ride. The combination of a tame carousel with Toy Story makes this a big hit with younger guests and a great rest stop for adults.
- Pixar Pal-A-Round: This massive Ferris wheel is Pixar Pier’s centerpiece and most recognizable attraction. This ride lifts guests 150-feet in the air allowing beautiful panoramic views of Disney California Adventure and Southern California. Vehicles are adorned with Pixar characters like Woody, Buzz, Dory, Nemo, and Mr. Incredible. Guests can choose to either ride in a swinging vehicle that will react to the movement of the wheel or non-swinging for those that might not enjoy all that movement that high up.
- Toy Story Midway Mania! (FP): This 3D shooter brings guests into Andy’s room to play midway-inspired games with his favorite toys. Guests wear 3D glasses and sit in swiveling carnival cars shooting virtual objects as they zip between screens with fun targets and characters from the films. Scores are recorded, making the attraction an entertaining way to compete with your family for midway dominance.
- Adorable Snowman Frosted Treats: This Quick Service window serves frozen soft-serve treats in white chocolate-capped lemon, vanilla, chocolate or swirled as well as a Pixar Pier Parfait. Bottled water is also available.
- Angry Dogs: This kiosk is themed after Inside Out’s most fiery emotion and serves a small menu of Angry (spicy) and Slightly Annoyed (not-so-spicy) hotdogs. The dogs are served with a bag of chips or hot fries. Bottled beverages, as well as beer, are also available.
- Jack-Jack Cookie Num Nums: This spot serves super tyke Jack-Jack from The Incredibles favorite treat. Guests can enjoy warm baked chocolate chip or shortbread cookies big enough for a superhero. There’s also a gluten-friendly blackberry jam-filled cookie. A selection of milk both dairy and non-dairy, as well as bottled water, is also available.
- Lamplight Lounge: This lounge celebrates the creativity and inspiration of Pixar’s rich film history. The space is designed to resemble a hangout where Pixar artists would relax after a long day of work. The walls are lined with sketches, toys and animated movie memorabilia that are all worth exploring. This spot’s location on the waterfront gives some of the best views of the Pixar Pier area. Guests can enjoy gastropub cuisine for brunch, lunch, and dinner, as well as a large selection of beer, wine, and specialty cocktails.
- Poultry Palace: This Quick Service window serves a menu of fowl favorites like a chicken drumstick box with coleslaw and jumbo smoked turkey legs. Chips, corn on the cob and bottled beverages are also available.
- Señor Buzz Churros: Guests can enjoy a Disneyland staple treat at this kiosk. The menu offers two types of churros, the spicy Caliente Churro and the sweet Cinnamon Super Galaxy Churro. An assortment of bottled beverages is also available.
Unlike Walt Disney World, characters at the Disneyland Resort don’t usually have dedicated meet and greet locations with set schedules. Characters are most often found at various times in open areas of the parks and are usually available with short lines. Please note that available characters and their locations can and do often change.
- Incredibles Park: This area next to the Incredicoaster features daily appearances by Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Frozone and Edna Mode.
- Toy Story Boardwalk: Guests can look for favorite Toy Story characters in their daily appearances along the boardwalk. Characters like Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie and Bo Peep are featured.
- Pixar Promenade: This small amphitheater shaped alcove features appearances by Monster’s Inc. stars Mike and Sulley as well as Russell and Dug from Up.
- Bing Bong’s Sweet Stuff: This spot is a combination of candy and souvenir shops. Offerings include a wide selection of confections, cotton candy and taffy watched over by Bing Bong himself. Guests can also purchase Pixar themed apparel, plushes, accessories, and home goods.
- Knick’s Knacks: Guests can purchase Pixar souvenirs at this shop that celebrates the artists who bring the animated features to life. Pixar themed apparel, accessories, toys, and housewares are available as well as one-of-a-kind Pixar concept art. Disney artists are also on hand to create custom Pixar sketches for purchase.
If you need help planning your perfect vacation, contact our friends at Key to the World Travel® for a free, no-obligation quote for your next trip. Click here.
Some Photos Courtesy Disney