We are all missing the parks right about now. Some of us are wishing we could bring a little Disney Magic home with us! We have decided to make a “Disney Food at Home” series of Disney Parks recipes for you to try for yourself at home!
In the first series, we are going to give you our recipe to make homemade School Bread just like the kind you find at Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe in EPCOT. Try it for yourself and then let us know how it worked out for you! Post your photos of your family on Instagram with #themeparkprofessor and we could feature your School Bread!
Disney School Bread
Supplies needed: 2 bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, rolling pin, plastic wrap, knife, cookie sheets, & pastry bags.
- School Bread
- 2 pints water
- 3 ounces dry yeast
- 3 1/2 ounces sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 pounds flour
- 1 whole egg
- 8 ounces shredded coconut
- 12 ounces vanilla custard
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Heat water and butter to 95 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, cardamom, yeast, and egg together for five minutes until the dough is stiff.
- Form it like a ball and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out like a sausage and cut into five-ounce pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and put them on a non-stick sheet pan and let them proof for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 375-degree oven. Let cool.
- Mix powdered sugar and water (use small amounts until proper consistency is achieved) to make icing and place in a shallow pan.
- Form hole in bread using a finger.
- Dip bread in icing (hole side down) and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Using a pastry bag, squeeze vanilla custard inside of the hole and swirl at the top for decoration.
- In a heavy saucepan bring milk to a boil.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the mixture doubles by volume.
- Add the hot milk a few drops at a time to temper the eggs.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Place in metal mixing bowl and place over a double boiler.
- Dissolve cornstarch in a little water and add in a thin stream while stirring constantly until it thickens to the proper consistency.
- It must not boil.
- Cool by placing the pan in an ice bath.
Now is the time to plan your perfect vacation! Having a travel advisor means someone there to have your back in any occurrence! There is no additional cost to you and you have peace of mind knowing that your vacation is in good hands. Contact our friends at Key to the World Travel® for a free, no-obligation quote for your next trip. Click here.