We are all missing Disney parks a little more this year. While we are all at home wishing we were spending the holidays at Disney, we decided to recreate some famous Disney recipes at home.
Today, we are featuring the delish Hot Chocolate Beignets and Candy Cane Beignets from Mint Julep Bar located in New Orleans Square at Disneyland! If you haven’t tried these in the parks, you don’t know what you’re missing. Take a look at the recipe below and share your results with us on Instagram with the #themeparkprofessor
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- 1 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 Cup Oil, Vegetable or Canola
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 4 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- Oil for Frying
Candy Cane Beignets
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 6 Peppermint Candy Canes, crushed
Hot Chocolate Beignets
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Packet Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 Jar Hot Fudge, for drizzling
- 1 Bag Mini-Marshmallows
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it sit for five minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
- Beat the dough in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until smooth.
- Replace the paddle attachment with a dough hook. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that is still a little sticky.
- Place the dough in in an oiled bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least two hours to over night.
- Punch out the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a Mickey Mouse cookie cutter to cut out Mickey-shaped beignets.
- Set them aside while you heat up the oil in a large pan or deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Fry the beignets, 3 at a time, for about 2 or 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Line a cooling rack or baking sheet with paper towels. Remove the Mickey beignets from the oil and allow them to rest on the paper towels.
Candy Cane Powdered Sugar
- Place the unwrapped candy canes in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into small pieces.
- Place the powdered sugar in a paper sack and add the crushed candy canes. (You may need to double-bag to ensure powdered sugar does not go everywhere!)
- Add the warm beignets to the bag, fold over the top, and shake to coat.
Hot Chocolate Powdered Sugar and Toppings
- Add the powdered sugar and Hojo chocolate mix to a paper bag.
- Place one or two beignets in the bag, fold over the top, and shake to coat.
- Heat up the hot fudge and drizzle over the Mickey Beignets. Top with mini-marshmallows.
If you try this recipe for yourself, post your photos to social media and tag us with #themeparkprofessor to be featured on our page!
Now is the time to plan your perfect vacation! Having a travel advisor means someone there to have your back in any occurrence! There is no additional cost to you and you have peace of mind knowing that your vacation is in good hands. Contact our friends at Key to the World Travel® for a free, no-obligation quote for your next trip. Click here.