The moderate resorts at Walt Disney World offer unique themes and great amenities. There are several options to choose from in this resort category. This is your comparison guide to the moderate resorts at Walt Disney World.
First, let’s talk about the amenities available at these resorts. Like every resort hotel on property, you will find multiple pools at each moderate resort. There is a main pool that includes a waterslide. In addition, there is at least one leisure pool at each of these resort hotels.
Next, the standard guest rooms at these resorts are bigger compared to value resorts. Some room options also sleep more than 4 adults, with the cabins sleeping up to 6 people.
Also, there are more dining options available compared to value resorts. There is at least one table service at each moderate resort.
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
This popular resort is known for its beautiful grounds and Louisiana theme. Guests can take a walk along the Sassagoula River to take in everything that this resort has to offer. There are two areas of this resort – Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend.
Several room categories are available including standard, garden, pool, and river view rooms. Rooms with king beds are an additional category and do not have specific views – they are located throughout the resort. There are rooms at this resort that will sleep up to 5 guests. These rooms include a child-size pull-down bed.
In addition, there is a preferred category, with rooms closest to the main building, shopping, dining, and transportation. These rooms are located exclusively in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort.
In the Magnolia Bend section, there are Royal Guest Rooms. These rooms feature unique Disney Princess decor, including a special headboard on each bed that has a “fireworks” display. These rooms sleep up to 4 adults.
- The overall feel of the resort is charming and quaint, featuring a theme epitomizing rural Louisiana. The guest rooms are located in cottages in Alligator Bayou and inside the white mansions in Magnolia Bend.
- There are Royal Guest Rooms, themed with your favorite Disney Princesses.
- There are some great recreation options at this resort including horse-drawn carriage rides, fishing, and more.
- You can take a boat to Disney Springs from this resort.
- This resort offers dog-friendly accommodations.
- Like some of the other moderate resorts, this resort is large and spread out. There are a few internal bus stops.
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter (POFQ) is the sister resort to Port Orleans – Riverside, located within walking distance. This resort is themed after the historic French Quarter in New Orleans, complete with cobblestone walkways, gas lamps, and more. It is a smaller resort with one bus stop.
There are a few different room categories at this resort – pool view, river view, garden view, and king. The rooms with a king bed are spread throughout the resort and do not have specific views. The rooms all sleep up to 4 guests.
- This resort is smaller compared to the other moderation resort options. There is only one bus stop which makes it easy to navigate.
- The grounds are beautiful and the rooms have been refurbished relatively recently (2018)
- There is a boat to Disney Springs
- The dining options are very good at this resort and include the ever-popular Mickey Beignets. Plus, there is easy access to Port Orleans – Riverside for additional choices.
- There are slightly fewer dining options here since it is a smaller resort. However, this is not a major con because Port Orleans – Riverside is just a short walk away!
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort is found in the Animal Kingdom resort area. This gorgeous resort has a southwestern theme and recently underwent a major renovation with the addition of the Gran Destino Tower.
There are a few different room categories in the main part of the resort – standard, water view, and preferred. In the Gran Destino Tower, there are additional options – Tower with a standard view or a water view.
Most of the rooms at this resort sleep up to 4 guests. However, there are suites and casitas that will accommodate more, with options for sleeping up to 8 adults.
In addition, this resort has a convention center right on site. Some may argue that this makes it less kid-friendly. However, we think the great amenities and overall feel of this resort make it an amazing choice for all guests.
- The addition of the Gran Destino Tower gives this resort a deluxe feel
- The main pool is great, it features a water slide and there is also a hot tub
- There are several great dining options here, including newer restaurants and rooftop views of fireworks
- Since this resort is quite big, it tends to be pretty quiet making it great for all types of guests (e.g. honeymooners, adults-only, or families)
- Because the resort is big, there are several internal bus stops
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is located in the Epcot area of the Walt Disney World Resort and is the main hub for the Disney Skyliner. It features bright colors and a relaxing, tropical theme. There are 5 different “islands” at this resort – Barbados, Jamaica, Martinique, Trinidad, and Aruba. While you are not permitted to swim in the lake at the resort, there are also several beach areas where you can sit, lay in a hammock, etc.
In addition to the different areas of the resort, there are a few different room categories here too. These include standard, pool/water view, preferred, and pirate rooms. The rooms here can sleep up to 5 guests, with some rooms including a pull-down bed that would be most comfortable for a child. Please note, if you need a room for 5 guests, you must book the corresponding room category.
- This resort is the main hub of the Disney Skyliner. It features easy access to both Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
- The main pool, Fuentes del Morro pool, has a fun theme with two water slides and spray cannons. There is a fun kids’ play area with smaller slides and a spa tub for the adults. In addition, there are 5 leisure pools, one in each village.
- There are several playground areas at this resort, making it very kid-friendly
- The grounds are beautiful, it has a peaceful and tropical vibe
- The resort is very large and spread out so it feels pretty quiet compared to some other resorts
- This resort is very large and has many internal bus stops, more than any other moderate resort
- While there were some major renovations a few years ago, the rooms still feel a bit dated compared to other resorts
The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
The Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground are tucked away in a 750-acre pine and cypress forest, with a theme celebrating the American Frontier. These cabins are like camping with a bit more luxury added! The resort is unique with many different recreational activities and amenities. It is also located in the Magic Kingdom Resort area, giving guests easy access to the parks but with a secluded feel.
All of these cabins sleep up to 6 guests and include a fully equipped kitchen and separate bedroom. In addition, guests can pre-order groceries from a pre-selected list of popular grocery items. The items will be delivered to the cabin after 5:00 pm on check-in day.
There is always something to do at the Fort too. Whether it’s heading out fishing, visiting the Tri-Circle-D Ranch, swimming, or practicing archery, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Please note, at this time some experiences may be modified as the phased reopening of the Walt Disney World Resort continues.
- This resort offers cabins that sleep up to 6 guests with a full kitchen and separate bedroom.
- There are many recreational activities here including fishing, Tri-Circle-D Ranch, playgrounds, and more
- Located in the Magic Kingdom Resort area, it is close to the parks but quiet and offering plenty of privacy
- Buses are needed to navigate the resort due to the size. Buses will take guests to the bus stops that go to the parks or the marina to take the boat to Magic Kingdom
- A golf cart is highly recommended to navigate this resort
- There are only two pools – the main pool and a smaller leisure pool
- The cabins only have one bathroom
The Best Fit for Your Next Trip
How do you choose the best resort for your next trip? There are a few things to ask yourself as you decide.
- Do you want to be closer to certain parks?
- How many people are in your travel party?
- What amenities are most important to you?
- What theme or vibe do you like best?
Each of the moderate resorts at Walt Disney World is great for different reasons. Asking yourself these questions will help narrow down the best option. Plus, our friends at Key to the World Travel are here to make it easier for you! They can help you find the best fit for your next trip!
Are you considering a trip? This is a great time to plan your perfect vacation! Having a travel advisor means someone there to have your back in any occurrence. There is no additional cost to you and you have peace of mind knowing that your vacation is in good hands. Contact our friends at Key to the World Travel® for a free, no-obligation quote for your next trip. Click here.