Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind at Epcot has officially opened! This weekend, due to the holiday and it because it is opening weekend, the Lightning Lane price for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind(GOTG for the rest of this article) was $17! (Disney estimates it will be $15 after this weekend)
But, what if you don’t want to pay for a Lightning Lane? Is there another way to get on the ride? The answer is, YES! GOTG has 2 daily virtual queue options daily for regular park guests and 1 virtual queue option for Deluxe Resort Guests during their Extended Evening Theme Park Hours Only at Epcot. However, there is no standby line at this time. So, you can not walk up and expect to get on the ride.
We have created this guide to help you use the virtual queue and answer any questions you may have about how it works!
What is a Virtual Queue?
You must have the My Disney Experience app downloaded to your mobile device to be able to access any of the virtual queue options in the park. The virtual queue is a digital way to secure your place in line and lower wait times. Disney developed this when they opened Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge and it has been utilized since for every new attraction.
The process for getting into the Virtual Queue is the same regardless of what time you try to access it. As we stated above, you will be able to access the virtual queue three different times. Once at 7 AM, once at 1 PM, and once at 6 PM for Extended Evening Theme Park Hours Only. This can be complicated for those who have never done it before. We are going to break it all down for you here so you can ensure you have your spot in line to ride!
Know Before You Go:
- You will have two opportunities to get a boarding group, per day. (Unless there are Extended Evening Theme Park Hours) You will need a park reservation for Epcot for to access these groups. You will want to make sure your entire party is linked on the My Disney Experience app BEFORE the first boarding group goes live.
- Access to your first boarding group begins sharply at 7am. You do not have to be in the parks to get your boarding group.
- The second opportunity to get a boarding group is just slightly different. You do need to be at Epcot to obtain a second boarding group, and it goes live at 1 PM. Just as the first boarding group, you want to make sure your entire party is linked on the My Disney Experience app BEFORE it goes live.
How Do I Join the Virtual Queue?
If you have been to the parks before you will have no issue using the virtual queue as it is very user friendly. It is very similar to getting a Genie+ selection or ordering food from the Mobile Dining menu. Take a look at the printable tip card we have created for you below!
The steps are identical to past virtual queues. If you have done Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway, or Remy Ratatouille Adventure you are familiar with how it works.
Here are the steps:
- You have the option of confirming your party starting at 6 am, or an hour before the virtual queue opens.
- Click the blue button to confirm your party, ensuring that everyone visiting with you is selected for the virtual queue.
- Click off of Disney’s wifi to ensure you have the quickest connection!
- Open the My Disney Experience app.
- Click the three lines at the bottom right of the screen *see graphic above
- From there, select the “Virtual Queues” tile.
- Pull down to refresh at 7 AM on the dot
- Then “Join Virtual Queue.”
**Note: you still have the second chance to join the virtual queue at 1 PM if you do not get into the first at 7 AM.
**Guests staying at a Deluxe Resort will have a third opportunity to join an exclusive virtual queue at 6 PM on days Extended Evening Theme Park Hours is offered at Epcot. You do not have to be in the park to join. Keep an eye on the Disney site to see which dates the Extended Evening Theme Park Hours is offered to see if you have that option during your stay.
Are you considering a trip? This is a great time to plan your perfect vacation! Having a travel advisor means someone there to have your back in any occurrence. There is no additional cost to you and you have peace of mind knowing that your vacation is in good hands.
Contact our friends at Key to the World Travel® for a free, no-obligation quote for your next trip. Click here. If you love following along for the most up to date park information and news, follow us on Instagram too: @themeparkprofessor